Post Format: Image
PhraseApp is a cloud-based Translation Management System (TMS) tailored to the needs for localization and Internationalization of modern enterprises. Built for developers, PhraseApp is a combination of a whole lot of tools and resources (e.g. REST API, CLI tool and UI Dashboard) that suit all tastes and flavours of localization development. Together with extensive online documentation, any respectable practitioner could automate localization tasks and reduce overheads. In this tutorial, we’re going to explore the PhraseApp API and use the available tooling in a variety of ways to address our localization needs.
PhraseApp offers a comprehensive and well-documented REST API (take a look at the DNA of the PhraseApp API if you’d like to get a better understanding of the rationale behind it). These are its key service endpoints:
- Projects: You can list, view, create or delete projects. Projects are the main modules separating logical entities. Each project has it’s own localization resources, team members, jobs, etc.
- Locales: You can list, view, create or delete different locales within each project. Locales consist of information about language tags usage, plural rules, directions rules, etc.
- Keys: You can list, view, create or delete different keys per project. Keys are the individual unique IDs used to match translation strings to the associated translation. There is also an option to add meta information such as tags or type.
- Translations. You can list, view, create or delete different translations per project. The translations contain a reference to one or more keys. Then, there is a list of available translations per locale parameter.
- Uploads: You can upload files and track their status.
- Tags: You can manage tag meta information for each key for better control and searching.
- Blacklisting keys: You can blacklist or filter out particular keys within a project.
- Versions: You can view all revisions of each translation.
Other than the core resources, there are additional endpoints that cover special operations such as Jobs, Branches, Comments, Integrations, User Management and Glossaries. As you can see for yourself, PhraseApp is not just an online database but rather a complete platform.
As a customer, you can consume the PhraseApp API in a variety of ways. For ease of use, you can always start with the UI Dashboard that you see right after logging on the main page.